Professional Movers • Moving & Storage • Truck Rental in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Residential or Commercial Moving • Local and Long Distance • Skilled Relocation Specialists • Modern Equipment • Packing Solutions • Truck Rental • Storage
We sell Packing Materials such as:
- Standard Boxes in many sizes
- Specialty Boxes for books, dishes, mirrors, electronics, even flat-screen TVs
- Wardrobe and clothing boxes
- Paper and cushion wrapping
- Tape and supplies
- Hand Truck & Dolly rental
If you do your own packing:
- Label all cartons with their basic contents and designated room.
- Seal each carton securely with packing tape and make sure items are well padded.
- Pack lamp shades in separate cartons.
- Wrap dishes separately. Nest cups and bowls with paper separating them.
- Secure movable parts, drawers, and racks on appliances.
- Defrost the refrigerator / freezer (start two days before moving).
- Pack heavy things in small sturdy boxes.
- Do not use newspaper to wrap fine china or lamp shades — the ink can smudge your items.
- Use specially designed containers for packing mirrors or framed pictures.
- NEVER move flammables, aerosol cans, caustic materials, or explosives!
Here is more information about consumers' rights when hiring a moving company. It answers many questions about what to expect with your move:
- Take a full inventory of items you will be moving.
- Have a garage or rummage sale to get rid of unwanted items.
- Return all library books.
- Notify the following of your new address 1 month before you move: Post Office, Magazines, Banks, Insurance Companies, Charge Accounts, Employers.
- Prepare a family survival kit: Prescriptions, flashlight, paper plates & plastic serving ware, paper towels, important phone numbers, towels, soap, first aid kit, alarm clock, can opener, maps, etc.
- Arrange cut-off dates for utilities and phone.
- Obtain a sufficient supply of prescriptions to last through the move.
- Don't forget about the attic or other "forgotten" storage spaces!
- Keep a record of your moving expenses.
- Have your children pack a "survival kit" of toys for the trip ahead.
- Make sure your Big Brother Moving representative knows where to contact you during the move .
Moving with Kids
A positive attitude and spirit of adventure can help children feel more comfortable with the entire moving process. A surprise can be a shock, so tell the children about the move as soon as your plans are definite. Here are some suggestions:
- Make moving a game for young children.
- Hang up a map of your new city or a photo of your new house.
- Plan a special activity immediately after the move.
- Plan a farewell party for the kids and their friends.
- Encourage exchanging phone numbers or email addresses so they can stay in touch with their friends.
Moving your Pets
- Check your new community's animal licensing requirements.
- Have vet records forwarded or take them with you.
- Remember pet food and water for the moving trip!